One of the toughest decisions we have to face is putting a loved one in a living facility. We want to take care of our loved ones and we feel a familial responsibility to take care of our own. However, there can come a time when we no longer have the ability, the skill, and the resources to provide such care.
The are several steps in making this decision:
1. Determine a budget based on current funds
2. Find out what resources are available from your State
3. Locate facilities that are close to your residence or work
4. Contact each facility to find out cost, amenities, and services provided.
5. Take a tour of the facility
6. Get references and call them
7. Check with the better business bureau about the facility
8. Talk to the employees
9. Discuss the facilities with your family
10. Let your loved one make the final decision if they can
While this may be a big initial decision remember that if you do not like the facility, you can always change. Planning can also provide you with more options.